Google
 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Mystery of the Mountains

Why some people love mountain climbing? What can they get from going there? I used to ask these questions too, until one summer day in 1999 a friend of mine asked me if I would like to go mountain climbing with them. It was in Benguet, Mountain Province, Northern part of Luzon, Philippines. Three to four hours rough-road trip from Baguio City to the jump off in Ambangeg. It’s named Mt. Pulag, the 2nd highest peak in the Philippines (almost 10,000 feet above the ground). THAT WAS MY FIRST EVER MOUNTAIN CLIMB!

I remember that we have to trek for a total of 10 hours to the peak. First 5 hours to the Ranger Station and another 5 hours (the next day) to the peak of Mt. Pulag. Well, professional climbers can do it in a single day for 8 hours or less. But since I am a beginner my company adjusted for me (thanks to them). Reaching the Grassland (golden color from the aerial view), where we pitched the tent was already an achievement. I can still remember the indescribable feeling as the clouds pass by as we walk, that we have to stop because of zero visibility (or else we’ll fall to the cliff), and the mist on my skin left by the clouds. I also recollect the extremely cold wind that I experienced for two nights, the cold water as if the ice just melt (and we have to use it in bathing), the amazing sunset and the sunrise, and most of all the fact that you are above the clouds, where it is so high and unreachable when you are on the lower ground. Since then, I myself knew the answers to those questions. Up there, you can feel peace and tranquility within. It felt like I am so close to God and really overwhelming to know that I am on top of the world.

It didn’t end up there. From then on, I bought gadgets needed for mountain trekking, like a backpack, a headlamp, light-weighed kitchen utensils, a mini stove, a trekking shoes, sleeping bag, thick jackets, etc… (tent was shared with my cousin, Randy). After that climb, I had eight more in the provinces of Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Bulacan. And in every climb, there’s always a new experience encountered. And those are the experiences that I won’t ever forget as long as I live. Now, it’s been 6 years since I stopped from this adventure and I really miss it so much. How I wish I could go up there again… someday. Do you have same adventure experience to share?

0 comments :